Friday, April 16, 2010

Week 5, Thing #11 Web 2.0 Awards

After exploring dozens of sites, I narrowed my selection down to WorldCat and LibraryThing. Both sites received Honorable Mention on the Web 2.0 Awards site. Of the two, I found that WorldCat would be most useful to me in my library setting. I am frequently asked where a copy of a popular book, that has been checked out, could be found. I had quite a demand for the Newbery winners this year, and my students wanted to get the book at the public libraries in the area. I searched the catalog and found useful information for specific titles such as reviews (from GoodReads and Amazon), subject access, author information, and user tags. I could also use WorldCat to check out a title that has been recommended to me by my students. On the personal side, I thought LibraryThing was great. I'm always looking for book recommendations. Checked out Ning for Computer-Using Educators and had fun playing Travel IQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment